Youth climbing leagues hosted at The Ascent are run in the spring (sport climbing) and in the fall (bouldering). Leagues closely follow the USA Climbing format for competitions. Each season is comprised of 4 competitions where climbers compete in both individual and team standings. Teams are typically formed around schools, although your school does not have to have a climbing team for competitors to participate.
Competitive Climbing Leagues for middle and high school are included in our Program Pack that can be added to your membership. Registration is simple and easy, just sign up for the league, your membership will be automatically adjusted.
Coaching will resume Aug 9th M-F 5:00-6:30. Limited Space is available. Sign up for your preferred practice time.
Competitive climbing is focused on bouldering in the fall, and sport-climbing in the spring. Each season has 4 competitions (1 per month) along with a pre-season competition.
While some schools have club teams that compete, our middle school and high school climbing league is available through the gym directly, independent of the school system, so you can compete regardless of whether your school has a team.
We provide weekly skills coaching after school to all competitors, and prepare climbers to succeed through physical training and mental discipline.
Find out more about the league competitions below:
This fall we are kicking off the bouldering season with a pre-season comp on August 17th from 5pm – 8pm. This competition is highly encouraged for all current competitors to assess your skills from the off-season and get a training plan before the opening competition.
This competition is also a great Preview Night 6pm-8pm for anyone that would like to watch or try the sport to see if you are interested in competing. All of our coaches will be present to give pointers, answer questions, and explain the structure of the league.
5:00 – 5:10
Competitor Sign-in / League Format review
5:10 – 6:00
6:00 – 6:10
Sign-in, Packet Pickup
6:10 – 6:20
New Climber sign-up
6:20 – 6:30
Gym and Sport Intro / League Schedule Overview
6:30 – 6:45
Gear Fitting / Safety training.
6:45 – 8:00
7:00 – 7:30
USA Climbing interest meeting.
USA Climbing interest meeting.
7:30 – 8:00
Q & A
Q & A
The Preview Night is free of charge to prospective competitors, but registration is requested so we can plan to serve you well!
Boulder season practices resume on August 9th and run Monday through Friday from 5:30pm to 7:00pm.
Pre-season: Aug 17, 5:00 – 8:00 pm
Comp 1: Sep 9, 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Comp 2: Oct 7, 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Comp 3: Nov 4, 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Comp 4: Dec 2, 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Competitors will drop the score from the lowest competition, so it is not necessary that you be able attend all dates in order to compete.
Climbing Leagues are included as part of the program pack with your membership to the gym. The league runs over the course of 4 months. (Feb – May) Memberships are billed monthly on the first of the month. Memberships or program pack may be cancelled after the leagues are finished.
$47.20 / month.
- Unlimited climbing
- Monthly guest passes for friends / family
- Pro-shop Discounts
- Basic and advanced climbing classes
- Specialty fitness classes / training
- Yoga / Pilates classes
$30 / month.
- Competitive Leagues
- Weekly Coaching
- Climbing Jerseys
- Advanced Climbing Classes
- Skills 1
- Skills 2
- Lead instruction / certification
- Discounts on related programs:
- Warriors Way mental training
- Outdoor Guided trips
Unlimited Gear Rental (if needed):
$25 / month.
- Individual scores for the season will be a total of the top 3 scores from the competitions. (Lowest comp will be dropped) Individual divisions will be:
- Male High School
- Female High School
- Male Middle School
- Female Middle School.
- Each Competition will consist of three (3) routes and two (2) boulder problems.
- Routes and problems increase in difficulty within each competition, and overall difficulty increases with each competition in the season.
- Routes and problems will be scored based on number of hand holds. Each hand hold on the high wall has a 10-point value. Each hand hold on the boulder problems has a 5-point value. Scoring is based on the portion of route completed.
- Each clip has a value of (10) points. When a climber successfully clips a rope in, he/she gains an additional (10) points. If rope is back clipped, no points will be awarded for that clip.
- Climbers have (4) minutes to complete each route. If time limit is reached or the climber falls, the climber will receive points for the portion of the route completed.
- A climber is considered to have fallen if:
- A climber falls or puts his/her weight on the rope.
- A climber gains an advantage by using a hold that is not on that route or using a quickdraw to assist in upward momentum.
- In order to receive credit for a hold, scorer must be able to determine that climber had complete control of a hold.
- In order to “start” a route, climber must have control of start hold(s), and have both feet on the wall.
- In order to receive full points for a route or problem, climber must match on the finish hold.
- Routes will be climbed according to the schedule set by staff. Climbers will be seeded by highest cumulative score.
- Bouldering problems may be completed at any time during the competition. Boulder problems will be scored by completion and by attempts. The number of bouldering attempts will be used to break ties. Climber is allowed up to three (3) attempts.
- To receive credit for a boulder completion, the judge must sign off on the completion. Climbers must verify that the judge is observing before climbing the problem. If judge does not observe the start of the problem, it will count as a trial but not a completion, even if problem is completed.
- The competition staff has final say in all matters pertaining to the competition.
- Teams will be separated into two divisions:
- Middle School (Top-rope only)
- High School. (Top-rope or Lead)
- Middle and high school team score is determined by the total score of the top five (5) climbers, male and female, for each of the 4 competitions.
Current League Standings:
Climbing Order for future competitions will be based on league standings. (Highest first) Click on the competition tab to see the climbing order for that comp. New competitors will be added at the end of the list.