Strength, Power, Perseverance.
February through May, The Ascent is hosting our 7th season of Spring Sport Climbing Leagues open to all middle and high school climbers.
The season is comprised of 4 competitions where climbers compete in individual standings. Your school does not have to have a climbing team for competitors to participate.
Season Competition Dates:
Pre-season / Preview: Jan 16th, 5:30pm-7:30pm
Comp 1: Feb 29 8am-11am
Comp 2: Mar 28, 8am-11am
Comp 3: Apr 25th, 8am-11am
Comp 4: May 16th, 8am-11am
Finals: May 16th, 5:00-7:00pm
We will be kicking off the season with a FREE pre-season competition and preview night so everyone can get a feel for the gym and the format and experience competitive climbing if you have never competed before.
Ready to compete?
Sign up for the League (Includes daily coaching sessions and an Ascent membership) or just the competitions to be part of the action on comp days.
Coaching is available up to 5 days / week for ALL ASCENT MEMBERS with the league package. Practices will begin the week of Aug 25th. See details about weekly practices below.
Mark enjoys helping people live healthier lives, and work through physical and mental challenges. He loves watching athletes progress as they become more confident climbers and people. Mark will be directing the youth competitive program as head coach.
Logan McGaha: Logan’s practical approach to climbing helps kids build the skills and confidence to take on bigger challenges. He encourages them to slow down to become smoother climbers and more thoughtful people.
Gabe Commodore: As an experienced competitive multi-discipline climber, Gabe is thrilled to pass on his experience to our youth competitors. Gabe will be teaming with Mark and Logan by coordinating the routesetting for all the competitions. The set will focus on stretching the abilities of our competitors in our coaching program.
Practices and coaching are available to ASCENT MEMBERS ONLY Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday: 4:00-5:30, and Wednesday 5:30-7:00. Each week climbers will meet with their coach to assess skills and provide feedback. Coaches will provide exercises, drills, and homework to combat weaknesses.
Friday practices will focus on Strength / Conditioning for all levels of climbers. We recommend climbing and training at least 2-3 days per week for the duration of the season to see significant growth throughout the series.
Additional Personal Coaching Sessions are available, at an additional cost, for extended training. See your preferred coach for more information.
5:30 – 7:00 pm
Strength / Conditioning
Boulder Scoring (Fall):
- Climbers will compete for a 3-hour block of time with problems of varying difficulty. They will have an unlimited number of attempts to complete as many problems as possible.
- There will be a minimum of 35 problems. The problems will be ordered to gradually get more difficult. Each problem will receive a point value. As the difficulty increases, so does the problem score.
- Points are awarded for the completion of problems, only.
- Each Competitor will have a scorecard of all the problems listed, and completion must be signed off by 2 fellow competitors or 1 officiating judge.
- Final score is the total of the top 5 completed problems. Attempts will be recorded, but only reviewed in the event of a tie. Climbers with the same score will be ranked according to fewest attempts.
- In order to “start” a route, climber must have control of start hold(s), and have both feet on the wall. Problems requiring a sit start will be indicated.
- In order to receive full points for a route or problem, climber must match (control with both hands) on the finish hold or box.
- In order to give credit for a problem, a judge must see the entire problem Climbers must verify that the judge is observing before climbing the problem. If judge does not observe the start of the problem, it will count as a trial but not a completion, even if problem is completed.
SPORT: Individual Scoring (Spring):
- Each Competition will consist of at least (20) routes.
- Routes and problems increase in difficulty within each competition, and overall difficulty may increase with each competition in the season as needed.
- Points are based on the difficulty of the route and belay method (lead/top-rope). Points will be awarded on completion of the climb. Sport Routes may have a ‘checkpoint’ to receive partial points.
- In order to “start” a route, climber must have control of start hold(s), and have both feet on the wall.
- Unless otherwise specified, climbers must MATCH the finish hold or box.
- In order to receive credit for a completion, scorer must be able to determine that climber had complete control of the final hold.
- A climber is considered to have fallen if:
- A climber falls or puts his/her weight on the rope.
- A climber gains an advantage by using a hold that is not on that route or using a quickdraw to assist in upward momentum.
- A climber uses the top of the wall outside of the finish to aid in climbing.
- SPORT ROUTES WILL BE JUDGED BY THE BELAYER AND ONE PEER.
- In the event of any discrepancy or disagreement, the head judge has final say in all matters pertaining to the competition.
- Individual scores for the competition will be the top 3 sport climbing scores. Attempts will be recorded, but only reviewed in the event of a tie. Climbers with the same score will be ranked according to fewest attempts.
- Individual scores for the season will be a total of the top 3 scores from the competitions. (Lowest comp will be dropped)
- Individual divisions for each discipline will be:
- Male High School
- Female High School
- Male Middle School
- Female Middle School.
SPEED: Individual Scoring (Spring):
- Comps will be on the IFSC 10m speed course.
- Individual scores for the season will be a total of the three best times from the competitions. Individual divisions will be:
- Climbers will be ordered by the lowest time to highest time.
- Each Competition will consist of two timed runs of the course. (45 sec max)
- Climbers have up to 45 seconds to complete each run of the speed route. The climber’s time for the competition is the lower of the two attempts. There will be 3 minutes between each climber.
- 1st minute: 1st attempt
- 2nd minute: 2nd attempt
- 3rd minute: transition
- If a climber falls it will be scored a DNF and 45 seconds will be recorded as the time for that attempt.
- In order to “start” a route, climber must have control of start hold(s), and have one foot on the ground. Climbers will begin climbing at the start sound. Official time will start at the sound.
- Climbers will finish the route when they slap the box at the top of the wall.
- There will be 2 official timers on each attempt. The official time for each attempt will be the average of the judged times.
Team Scoring (Fall):
- Teams will be separated into two divisions:
- Middle School
- High School.
- Middle and high school team score is determined by the total score of the top five (5) climbers, male and female, for each of the 4 competitions.
Climbing Leagues are included as part of the program pack with your membership to the gym. The league runs over the course of 18 weeks. (Aug- Dec) Memberships are billed monthly on the first of the month. Memberships or program pack may be canceled after the leagues are finished (4-month minimum, unless competitors join mid-season.) We will offer off-season practices – so we do not automatically cancel memberships/ program packs at the end of the season. If you would like to discontinue coaching, please let us know via email or through the membership management page on our website.
Student Membership: $47.20 / month.
- Unlimited climbing
- Monthly guest passes for friends / family
- Pro-shop Discounts
- Basic and advanced climbing classes
- Intro to climbing
- Skills 1
- Skills 2
- Lead climbing & belaying instruction/ certification
Unlimited Gear Rental (if needed): $25 / month.
Program Pack: $30 / month.
- Competitive Leagues
- Weekly Coaching
- League Shirt
Non-member / Prepaid options:
Season membership, Competitions & Coaching: $337
Season Gear Rental: $100
Competitions only (non-member): $120
Need a little help? In cases of need, partial membership scholarships are available. All applications and awards are kept confidential. Just tell us a little about what’s going on at our scholarship page.
Current League Standings:
Current Standings will appear below as scores from the season are updated.